Recently changed our VMware switching from standard to distributed switches. After the change, we were no longer able to deploy new VDIs using MCS. We would get an error on the machine catalog that stated “There is no available network enabled for provisioning in this hosting unit Path not found”
So we consulted the manual (Google) and found this article from citrix. https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX139460. This article gives directions on how to update the hosting unit network after a change on the Hypervisor side. Followed the article and updated the network only to find our that it will not fix our issue. The citrix article even warns that this will not fix any new VDI deployments and they recommend creating a new machine catalog. This thoroughly aggravated me! I should not have to create a new machine catalog to update this parameter! So I called citrix support and well… we know how that turned out.
So fresh off the call with support and unwilling to accept defeat, I found a way! Here is how to fix it! Disclaimer: This is not supported by citrix and does involve modifying the database directly. Proceed with caution!
- Follow CTX139460 and update your hosting config.
- Create a new machine catalog (dont worry, its only temporary)
- Backup your site database – CYA!
- Open SQL Management studio and connect to the SQL server
- Open your site database and look for a table named DesktopUpdateManagerSchema.ProvisioningSchemeNetworkMap
- Right click the table and select top 1000 rows.
You will see an output like the below. You should have 1 entry for each machine catalog that uses MCS. Note the bottom record is the new catalog we just created and it has the right network.
- Right click the table again and click edit top 200 rows.
- Copy the correct values in networkid and networkpath to your other Provisioning schemes that are broken. (Get-ProvScheme to see your schemes, look for the UID that will match what you see in the database.)
After you modify these values you should be able to deploy machines using your existing catalog. You can now remove the new catalog we created in step 2.